Wednesday 15 December 2010

I'll be glad when this week is over. I felt worn out last night and with Sue and the kids attending a 'talent show' at Bethan's school I was in bed for 7.45 and asleep by 8.30.


Its a mix of things. Mainly work: several meetings, a lot of travelling, presentations to write, reliance on other people (and the need to keep pushing them). By tomorrow evening most of that will be done but I'll not be home until gone nine tonight. On top of that there's the uncertainty of the weather in respect of the planned travelling at the weekend and Monday, though the forecast doesn't look too bad so far, and the spectre of Christmas lurking 9 days away. By the end of Monday the travelling will all be done and by the end of Wednesday next week I'll be finished until the new year...and can relax!


Sorry, that's all a bit off topic.


Yesterday's run was fine. Just 5 miles plus drills which I did from home into the woods and park once it was light enough. Hills today, but again a shorter session than normal.


Diet was good which was a relief as I was attending a pub lunch with a client. With no obvious healthy option I resorted to scampi, chips, salad and (incongruously) boiled carrots and broccoli. Fortunately the morning's run and light breakfast helped accommodate that.


According to the scales yesterday I'd lost all the 'gain' of the previous few days. Ok, I had 'lost' a week of loss but the numbers are down once more today and getting to Christmas eve below 12 stone seems achievable again. That thought should keep me on track today, despite the challenge of a long, slow drive in the dark. May have to hit the Costa Lattes pretty hard though.

Its tough staying focused this time of the year. Each day nearer to Christmas (and Christmas feasting) increases the temptation to say 'sod it' and treat myself food wise - especially with the likes of crisps, various nuts, mince pies, cheeses, pate all already bought. Add in a sprinkling of work stress and fatigue and its hard! It'll probably get harder still in the next few days when Sue brings home chocolates that the kids in her class will have bought her...then there's the challenge of a meal out with the in laws...then the challenge of finishing work and an almighty temptation to say 'sod it'....

Must stay strong. 12.2.6 today so not far to go...

Anyone else struggle this time of year?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm always going off topic, don't worry! Hope you get some rest soon, I'm not looking forward to my work running up to christmas, I start work today and don't get a day off until the 23rd then I'm back christmas eve, rubbish! Oh well, it pays the bills!!

BabyWilt said...

Travel safe :-)

Alison said...

I agree the sod-it mentality is really hard to fight off at this time of year. It seems like you're doing a pretty good job though. The running is bound to help.

And thanks for the thoughtful comment on my freakout. Of course, when I'm feeling like that, things aren't entirely rationally thought through. But that's probably the type of thinking I should be aspiring to. So I'll continue to try and seek (impartial?) advice through health professionals, and avoid scare-mongering and propaganda about veganism, as that was definitely messing with my head!

Safe journey

Maria said...

I like a good off road ramble :)
I think this time of year is hard- in our staff room there is always loads of mince pies and chocolates. I am making sure I drink loads of water before lunch, eat my sandwich and fruit slowly and distract myself from the coffee table! I make sure I keep up with the exercise too.

rosec said...

I'm REALLY struggling with the 'sod off' was managing by buying some really gorgeous mince pies and treating myself to a hot one with 'light' squirty cream but since being confined to digs I find myself hovering by my christmas stash...hand on cheeselets...about 4 times a day...rubbish! Hope that your travelling has gone okay and that the work stuff eases off in time for you to wind down a bit next week
Rosexx

tam said...

I totally agree its so tough staying focused when everyone around you is indulging especially at work with the christmas chocolates and biscuits!

Sounds like your pretty focused to me, and all that running is gonna keep the rolls at bay! : )