Wednesday 15 September 2010

Blip, Blip: the best laid plans of mice and men

There you go a bit of Robbie Burns in the post title!

The first 16 hours of yesterday went really well. Light breakfast and mid morning snack then wholefood salad shaker and fresh pineapple from Marksies for dinner on my way to a couple of meetings in Nottingham.

Then the wheels started to fall off.

The plan was that I'd leave Nottingham by 4.30 at the latest in time for a massage at 6.30, then running club at 7.45 and a couple of bowls of homemade minestrone when I got in about 9.20pm.

In the event the second client was nearly an hour late arriving and then the meeting over ran by an hour on top of that so it was gone 6.30 before I'd even left Nottingham. Massage and run were already scuppered.

The temptation to respond to that with a visit to a services to get something terrible to eat was strong, but to my credit I resisted that at least.

When I got in at a little after 8pm I had the planned 2 huge bowls of soup. Unfortunately I then also had 2 bowls of rice crispies and finished off the remains of the previous day's baguette before the eldest gave me the remains of the bag of sweets she'd bought earlier...

I don't adapt well to forced changes to plans!

Still, at least it was logged again and it comes out at maintenance level so perhaps it wasn't too bad for a forced rest day.

2 comments:

Alison said...

I think eating more on rest days is sensible for recovery. It depends on effort on training days, of course, but at least you know you're not going to be gaining weight eating at maintenance. Plus you minimise the risk of further injury. Perhaps on those days the goal now is to make sure what you wat is good quality. Rather than sweets..

Good job on swerving the services!

Maria said...

Well at least you still managed to keep to maintainance cals for the day. Look on the bright side.