This is the first draft and I expect to adapt it over the coming weeks where necessary but the key features are:
- Fairly static mileage of 26 -30 miles a week with only a 10% cutback every 4th week.
- Pilates classes 3 times a week.
- Tempo runs each Tuesday.
- Easy runs on Wednesdays.
- Either speedwork/hill training or easy runs on Thursdays.
- LSR or race at the weekend.
- Each week has a focus to concentrate on in terms of making my gait more efficient.
- To maintain a steady base ahead of marathon training just about at week 1/16 level
- To gradually re-introduce speed training
- To enjoy races
- To get a decent idea of fitness progress from 3 of the races
- To strengthen my core
- To improve running efficiency
- To be used to 4 runs a week (so marathon training only adds one more)
At the moment there are no pace targets. Partly because I don't have a recent race to base them on as the lack of running and poor condition over the last 6 weeks means using Castle Douglas is a bit risky, but also because the speed/hill work fits with club training and Tuesday's tempo run is done with the club too.
The other missing element is weight training. The obvious place to slot that would be Friday or Saturday but I'll leave the day flexible. At present I'm only looking at one session a week and am open minded as to whether I should do upper and lower body - any thoughts on lower body weight training during a training plan welcome.