Sunday 15 August 2010

Why only race for PBs?

Two posts down from this Alison asked why I only wanted to race if I felt a PB was on the cards and its easier to explain here than in a comment back, so here goes...

For me there's two types of races: ones that you enter simply because you like the sound of the event, and one's you enter because they have a course that could offer a PB. In either event they have to provide a challenge.

So this year events like Hellrunner and Turbo X are very tough challenges but ones where the time relative to other events is irrelevant. Then there's Birchwood 10k and Wistow 10m with flat PB friendly courses.

Looking long term by the end of November I want to have 10k and 10m PBs from which I can gauge a projected marathon finishing time for April as well as the associated training paces.

Birchwood will/would be an opportunity to set an early PB which in turn provides feedback for target paces for next races hopefully leading to a genuine 'as good as it gets' PB by the end of November.

So...its all about progressive feedback and if I can't run close to a PB there's no point in driving over to Cheshire - I may as well just do a run from home.

That's a very INTP explanation by the way: logical but way longer than was necessary!

4 comments:

Alison said...

I do see the point if you'd otherwise have to drive the Cheshire!

You say marathon in April. Is that Paris? Depending on how I get on in Berlin I might be looking to join you ...

Running Rob said...

Champion.

Certainly is Paris. 10th of April next year, 40,000 entrants, registaration opens on 15th September, first come first served, usually full by mid October (once Larnden rejections come out), usually cheaper the earlier you register...

Course wise its generally flat. A few very, very minor inclines up or down but you hardly notice them. Two short slightly steeper uphills coming out of underpasses by the Seine but that's all.

Start on the Champs Elysses in the shadow of the Arc de Triomphe, past place de la Concorde, Along Rue de Rivoli past the Louvre, around Place de la Republique, into the Bois de Vincennes, then back along the Seine passing Notre Dame, Musee d'Orsay, Eiffel tower and into Bois de Boulogne before heading back along Avenue Foch just short of the arc again. I think the only major sight it doesn't pass is Sacre Couer.

I'm a keen advocate...

Alison said...

Ha, you do a good sell!

I love Paris, and now I'm out of that horrible middle phase of training I'm starting to think how great it would be to build on this, and take these lessons forward. I'm a bit torn though, and I wouldn't have long to decide post-Berlin. A couple of weeks maybe..

The more a go through this process though - and the more I blog(!) - the more I realise how much I'm learning, and how much more there is a could do. I mean, this time round it's just about getting round and running strong. But next time, I could go for a time...

Food for thought!

Running Rob said...

Its good isn't it?

Chances are that in the days after Berlin you'll be high as a kite and up for entering anything, though I know of some people that feel a bit 'after the Lord Mayor's parade' and that can send you either way.

You'll only be a week from tapering now won't you?