Wednesday 4 August 2010

Day One (again)

Suitably chastened by Allison's stern rebukes I decided to cancel yesterday's club run and just test the groin with a 2.6 mile jog with Bethan.

I made a point of focusing on engaging the core muscles - (semi) specifically the ones you'd clench if you were desperate for the loo but not yet near one - and suffered no discomfort during the run. It took a bit of concentration to keep that up. Its something I found hard at first but then more or less got in the habit of doing it every time though I suspect that recently when I've tired either at the end of longer LSRs or during races I've let slip.

Afterwards there was no great problem and certainly no lower abs discomfort at all, just that feeling of the left hand side of the groin somehow feeling slightly 'misaligned'.

By this morning even that had passed.

However, I'm going to be cautious as I've been here before - chasing miles or times while it gets progressively worse and have come up with a plan:

1) Start on the core stability exercise program again
2) Cut back on mileage this week by just running once more with Beth and doing 6-8 miles at the weekend
3) Replace this week's runs with cardio & weights at the gym
4) Cut back LSRs to 10/12 miles max for the next couple of months
5) Really concentrate on engaging the core at all times during runs

With luck that will keep me on track without anything getting worse.

To kick that off I revised the core programme today and did the first set:

  • Plank
  • Side plank
  • Swiss ball hyperextension
  • Bridge
  • Static lunge
  • Walking lunges
  • Single leg dips
  • X-band walk
  • Supine hip extension
  • Lying hip adduction
  • Piriformis stretch
All lovingly tabulated into an Excel plan in the colours of my favourite Adidas Adizero kit. I really need to get out running again soon don't I?

1 comment:

Alison said...

:)

I didn't mean to be bossy. But I'm glad you were sensible about this. As you say, you've been here before. Once is a mistake. Twice is pure idiocy.

The core work looks like good stuff. Boring as hell I bet. But good. That and weights. Slowly and steady will with the proverbial race.