Wednesday 13 April 2011

Metro ou Ambulance?

That was the headline in Monday's Paper in Paris - referring to the individual runner's mode of transport whenever their race ended. I know of a couple of people that took the latter and saw plenty of others. Apparently the temperature peaked at 27c but I don't think it will have got over 25c while I was running.

I'll pop back on and do a more full report later but short story is that I missed my target. Sort of. That's to say I missed hitting the numbers I'd aimed for but I gave it my best shot and in better conditions would have got there. Finished in 3:38:50 after struggling with the heat (and resultant stomach cramps - caused by dehydration I think) after 18 miles. So, missed the numbers but ran 99% the best race I could have run on that day and in those conditions so in that sense I've no reason to feel down.

First thing I did when I got back was enter the Chester marathon on 9th October...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Can't wait to hear more about it! Glad you're happy with your race :-)

Alison said...

I knew there's be another one hot on its heels! Am looking forward to the full race report, but in the meantime, I hope the recovery is going well.

And congrats again on an well run race :)

Jessica said...

Just about to read the first part of your report but I have to say huge congratulations for putting in that time in such tricky conditions: I only ran a 16 miler in 23 degrees on Sunday and thought I was going to die at various intervals. To push through another 10 on top of that suffering from dehydration...well, I just think you're amazing!

Roll on the next marathon, eh? Hope you'll be able to kick back and enjoy watching London on the TV (I'm dedicating the whole morning to it!)

Manj said...

Finally you're back!! :) I think you've done amazingly well despite the conditions and with your training and discipline, you are bound to hit that 3:30 goal for Chester :) x

Rose said...

Hurray! You're back!!!

Some friends of mine ran and they stuggled with dehydration too...couldn't find any water stops in the last 5 miles...... it might interest you to know that he was aiming for 3:30 and came in at 3:45 - so similar to you.....

off to read the report now