Monday, 20 April 2009

What next?

That's a tricky question.

While training for Paris I'd decided to avoid an autumn marathon, having done Paris & Edinburgh, and concentrate on a series of shorter races - 5k to half marathon - before training for a spring marathon next year.

A few days ago that was very much still the plan. I felt enthused at the prospect of Edinburgh, had begun to lose weight again after 10 days of post-Paris excess, felt good fitness wise and had looked up a series of races I could do.

The weekend has raised some big doubts though. The pain in my leg suggests that I'll struggle to train for Edinburgh and will greatly risk injury if I do - so do I pull out? If I do, does that leave the option of an autumn marathon?

I don't really want to withdraw from Edinburgh. I've paid my entry, planned a new target time for a PB, am 2 weeks into an 8 week plan and fear if I withdraw my diet and fitness could go to pot.

On the other hand, if I do withdraw I can let the injury heal properly and still go for the series of summer and autumn races and hope they are enough to keep me on track weight and fitness wise. I'd also save about £200 - not including £90 I can put by for a chi running course I'm signing up for in June.

Sue's advise is to withdraw and, in writing this entry it seems the sensible option. If it was the only planned marathon for the year I'd refuse to contemplate that but having done Paris recently its easier to think that way.

I don't know. I'll take it easy for a week or so and then make a decision. I think...

No comments: